Tuesday, May 10, 2011

3 month old baby boy

Max,

Today you are three months old.

Now before you were even a twinkle i n my eye I started this blog about life and homes and hopes. And now you are here. And have been here for 3 entire months (or 12 weeks and 5 days if you're counting week-style and not just by the month).

You, my beautiful baby boy, are amazing. You eat and sleep and smile and cry and I can't find a thing in the world more interesting to watch than you and I can't imagine a day I ever spent without you. When you're not fascinating in your awake state you are precious in sleep.

These past three months have gone by so quickly it's hard to recount everything that's gone into them — so I won't try. But I will say that my days have been filled with the most amazing details of the beginning of your life.

For the first 8 weeks I religiously (almost obsessively) tracked every single thing you did: every time you ate, every diaper, every nap. The minutia of your days seemed like a magical code, a secret recipe for your happiness and health. In the past few weeks I've taken a slightly more relaxed approach to your daily care — partially because you are such a strong, healthy baby and partially because we have grown already into a comfortable pattern of daily life.

Now we take your days with much more ease and less scrutiny. Despite not being closely documented your hours pass as blissfully as when I was monitoring and logging every single item.

You are already getting so big. (I find myself repeating that familiar refrain of parents everywhere.) You laugh and you coo, and recently you've started to shout a few small shrieks — fabulous and surprising as you discover all the things your voice and lungs can do.

Today we took your 3 month photo and you found it very amusing as we tried to take your picture with the neatly lined up blocks spelling out "3 months". You were greatly amused by shaking them from your belly and watching us re-stack them.


You hold onto toys and the things around you (like the burp cloth that captivated all your interest for over an hour today). You listen to us and talk to us in your baby way. Mostly you watch the world very closely. I have a feeling that you, in your own way are logging all the details of your own days.

I know soon you will be crawling and walking and talking and these first days of babyhood will seem a distant memory. But for now they fill up all the hours and each day that ends I'm sad it's gone and happy for the next to come. The magic of these months is a beautiful thing.

You are already in bed tonight and as I write this I feel I'm missing out on the chance to watch you sweetly sleep. There are a million things that I want to capture about this moment in time, but for now it will have to suffice to say that you make me supremely happy and I love you immensely. I can't wait to see what amazing feat of growth you accomplish tomorrow!

I love you,
Mom

2 comments:

  1. I love this so much. I can't believe how quickly the time is flying by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this post and it is oh so sweet and lovely!

    ReplyDelete