I went for my first run this morning (not first ever in life, first in Vegas). There is a lovely park near our house called The Puebla. It's so close and convenient that it's almost criminal not to spend some time there. It's a desert arroyo—which means a dry desert gully. But that definition doesn't really do it justice. It's a gorgeous little strip of wildlife tucked in the middle of my neighborhood. Lots of trees and desert plants and little critters running all over the place. It was great. So entertaining that I ran two miles straight without stopping...then walked those two miles back home!
If you ever want to go running in the desert here there are two things I can recommend. First go when it's not blazing hot. When I left the house at 6:30 it was a lovely 85 degrees. And second run west. This way the rising sun will cast a long, lean shadow of yourself in front of you. There's no better morning motivation than a taller, skinnier version of yourself pounding the pavement with you!
Now I'm off to do a little yoga and bake some banana-chocolate chip muffins. Happy Saturday!
Sounds lovely! I had never thought about looking to my shadow for motivation - good idea.
ReplyDeleteStill the talented insightful linguist you were at NWC --- waiting patiently for another post...aunt P
ReplyDelete