Monday, July 27, 2009

home sweet home

There are so many ways that I think about home. Though I've been away from Wyoming for more than 15 years I still think of the farm where I spent my childhood as *home*. At the same time, every place I've lived since then as felt just as much like home to me. Two college towns: Powell and Missoula then moves farther away for jobs in Boston and Brooklyn.


Now—as of just one short month ago—my home is Las Vegas. And the past thirty days have been filled with thinking and planning and working to make a new place my home. Even though I moved here and into a home I already knew and loved (my boyfriend's) the ways we make ourselves feel *at home* are still so interesting to me.


Is it a question of your things, your rituals, making yourself comfortable by bringing as much sameness as you can from one place to the next? Or is it the real comfort in letting go of the ways things were wherever you were before and embracing the place you are now?


1 comment:

  1. Hooray! Keep writing, I can't wait to read more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete